...

Teen hands himself into police after attack on German politician


Heiko Rebisch/Photo Alliance/DPA/AP/File

Matthias Ecke at the Social Democratic Party conference in Saxony in June 2023, where he was nominated for the upcoming European elections.



CNN

A 17-year-old turned himself in to police after admitting he attacked a German politician on Friday.

Police say Matthias Ecke, the Social Democrats’ candidate in the upcoming European elections, was attacked while putting up campaign posters.

According to Saxony police, the minor went to the police station in the early hours of Sunday morning and confessed to attacking the Social Democratic politician in the eastern German city of Dresden.

Three other people are also suspected of carrying out the attack besides the minor, although their whereabouts are unknown, police said.

Police previously said on Channel X that a second activist – from the Green Party – was also attacked by the group of four.

The Social Democratic Party’s Saxony branch blamed the far-right Alternative for Germany party for the violence. The AfD is steadily gaining support across the country, especially in eastern states such as Saxony.

“Yesterday, our main candidate for the European elections, Matthias Ecke, was attacked while installing posters and was seriously injured. The violence and intimidation of the Democrats are the methods of fascists. From right-wing extremists sprout.

Jörg Orban, leader of the AfD in Saxony, referred to the attack in a post on X, writing that “attacks on politicians are always attacks on democracy.”

While Orbán said he condemned such attacks, he also noted that “the Social Democratic Party must ask itself to what extent its continued incitement against political dissidents contributes to such escalations.”

Olaf Scholz, the German chancellor, also posted on social media about the attack, writing on X: “Attacks like those targeting MEP Matthias Ecke and other candidates threaten our democracy. We must stand united against them.”

“I wish Matthias Ecke a speedy recovery,” Schulz said.

Ike, 41, had to undergo emergency facial surgery, according to CNN affiliate NTV.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

PLZ DISABLE YOUR ADBLOCK AND REFRESH THE PAGE