...

Rory McIlroy says he won’t return to PGA Tour policy board after ‘pretty messy’ conversations


Stephen Liu/USA Today Sports/Reuters

Rory McIlroy during the final round of the 2024 Zurich Classic for New Orleans at TPC Lousiana in New Orleans in April.



CNN

Rory McIlroy Won’t be back PGA Tour The Northern Irishman said on Wednesday that the policy council would not come anytime soon after some “very complex and very messy” talks.

World No. 2 to resign He stepped down from his position as player director after two years in November due to “personal and professional commitments”, however I confess last month that he would be willing to return to the board if required.

However, following talks about replacing Webb Simpson, the American will now serve out the rest of his term – which runs until 2025 – after McIlroy ruled out a return, stating that some on the board were “uncomfortable” with his return.

“There’s been a lot of conversations,” McIlroy, speaking ahead of the Wells Fargo Championship in North Carolina, told reporters.

“It became very complicated and very messy, and I think the way it happened, it opened up some old wounds and scar tissue from things that had happened before.

“There was a subset of people on the board who may have been uncomfortable with me coming back for some reason. I think the best course of action is, if there is [are] Some people out there who don’t feel comfortable coming back, I think Webb will stay in office and serve out his term.

He added: “I wouldn’t say it was rejected.” “It’s been a complicated process to get me back out there. So it’s all good, no hard feelings and we’ll all move forward.

Andrew Reddington/Getty Images

McIlroy expressed his willingness to regain his previous position on the board.

As reconciliation talks between the PGA Tour and Leaf golf As it continues beyond the initial deadline of December 31, the division between the warring rounds continues to cast a shadow over the men’s match.

The participation of LIV Golf players – who are unable to earn ranking points from on-course events – in major championships remains a recurring point of contention, with seven players from the Saudi-backed league receiving special invitations to play next week’s PGA Championship.

McIlroy, who admitted last January that he was “Very judgmental” One of the first players to switch from the PGA Tour to LIV Golf said both sides must be willing to compromise to end the long-running dispute.

For example, the 35-year-old pointed out Good Friday Agreementthe peace agreement reached in 1998 that brought an end to decades of sectarian violence – “unrest” – in his homeland.

“Neither side was happy,” McIlroy recalls. “The Catholics weren’t happy, the Protestants weren’t happy, but she brought peace and then you learn to live with whatever was negotiated.

“[Today]My generation knows nothing different – but this is the way it has always been and we have never known anything but peace.

“It probably wouldn’t be great for either side,” he added. “But if this is a place where golf starts to flourish again and we can all come back together, then I think that’s a really good thing in the end.”

McIlroy is seeking his fourth win at Quail Hollow, and arrived in fine form after teaming up with fellow Irishman Shane Lowry to win the Zurich Classic for New Orleans last month.

“We’ve had a very slow start to the season, especially here in the United States,” he said.

“I felt like I needed something like this to motivate me, and I hope that’s the case.”



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

PLZ DISABLE YOUR ADBLOCK AND REFRESH THE PAGE